Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Problem That I have Problem With


Not everyone likes fractions. In my younger days, I remember hearing my classmates’ complaints. I also remember teachers that didn’t explain them well. I also know of many adults who don’t understand why they have to take one eighths multiply by one quarters which they say that the answer would be so insignificant anyway so why bothers. As for me, I did not bother to think about all these, I just knew that I had to score well for my subjects to go into a good institution and so fraction was a no problem topic to me. If the paper requires me to find how many one thirds are there in one half, I know I just need to take one divide by one thirds. If I have to compare fractions, I know I have to make the denominators the same. I can recognize what are proper, improper and mixed fractions. But can I visualize how many one thirds are there in a half, I can’t. Do I know how the word ‘denominator’ came about? I don’t know. Basically, I am doing fractions without understanding it.

The fraction problem posted by my lecturer on lesson 3 was how many one halves are there in three quarters. Within a minute, I could get the answer by dividing. But it took me many hours to understand it from the models. I couldn’t even get it in class and I had to spend at least one hour after I reached home to figure it out. And seeing the model really make sense of all the fractions stuff that I have learnt throughout my schooling days. Thus fraction needs to be taught basing it on visual models so that children will get a firm grasp of the concepts, before simply memorizing the various steps. This is one good example to show that the purpose of learning mathematics is to understand the world. Such as in fractions, it is supposedly to teach me to be able to visualize, to have a mental picture and to be able to apply it in life. The other day, my brother just told me that if I want to take good photographs, I have to stick to the techniques called ‘The rules of third’. Even in photography, there are fractions. 

So really, learning is meant for understanding, not for the sole purpose of a challenge since I have heard many others claim they like mathematics for the challenge. We educate everyone because knowledge is good, we don't do it to make our lives harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment